Racial justice and being created in the image of God

I have a friend who teaches public health. We share a common faith and a common commitment to living out that faith. However, we have different priorities. In medicine he focuses on the overall health of populations, while I tend to focus more on the needs of individual people and the relationship between the patient and a physician. His career has involved researching the health needs of particular populations, many times in large cities. My career has involved caring for individuals, mostly in small rural communities. Much of his research has involved the health needs of the African-American community. My medical practice has involved people in small rural Midwestern communities where African-Americans make up a very small percentage of the population.

Both of us believe that all human beings have been created in the image of God and deserve our respect. When we talk about ethical issues I tend to remind him that our understanding that all human beings have been created in the image of God means that we need to stand up for the value of human embryos and fetuses who are unable to stand up for themselves and for those with disabilities and those who are dying who may be treated as having less value than other human beings. He reminds me that we need to stand up for those in the African-American community and other minorities who are made in the image of God but suffer many injustices in our society.

Since I retired from practicing medicine my primary way of standing up for the value of every human being is through teaching. I try to help my students understand what it means that human beings have been created in the image of God and how that impacts the moral issues that we face in bioethics. My friend also teaches that to his students, but also expresses his faith and values by living among and worshiping with his African-American neighbors who have become his friends as well as those that he advocates for. He has learned to incorporate what he believes into how he lives. That is what we need in our society to move toward racial justice and reconciliation. The understanding that every human being is created in the image of God needs to become how we live.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments