Ending well

By Steve Phillips

This past week I attended the CBHD summer conference. This year’s theme was “Taking Care: Perspectives for the End of Life.” As usual, the conference was filled with thought-provoking sessions and many good personal interactions. While I have much to think about from many of the sessions the one that impacted me the most was the concluding plenary session by John Kilner titled “Dignity and Life on the Line: Ending Well.” This session impacted me in a number of ways. Not the least was remembering how much Dr. Kilner has impacted my life as I listened to him talk about the end of life from the perspective of one going through his own end-of-life journey. It also came at a significant time for me as my wife and I have been grieving the recent death of her father.

However, even without those very personal things, what Dr. Kilner had to say about the end of life was significant. He reminded us that the dignity of human life that exists because every human being has been created in the image of God applies as much or more at the end of life as any other time. Since God has intended in our creation for us to be an internal reflection of him, death is truly an enemy. However, death is an enemy that has been defeated by Jesus in his resurrection. Our approach to death can be wrong if we fail to recognize either of these things. If we do not recognize death as an enemy, we may not pursue appropriate treatment, or we may pursue intentional killing as a means of avoiding suffering. Either of those is wrong. We should intend life and not death. If we fail to recognize that the enemy death has been defeated, we may try to avoid death at all costs and pursue over treatment that increases suffering because we have made life on this earth into an idol.

He also reminded us that the process of dying can include things that are positive. All human life is worth living. The life that we are living as we are in the process of dying can be of benefit to God, others, and ourselves. As we in our weakness put our lives in God’s hands and allow his body, the church, to care for us, we bring glory to God. We allow others to be blessed by serving as they care for us. In the weakness of dying we can find the hope and joy that come from God whose strength is manifested in us in our weakness. I pray that when the time comes God will help me to end my life well in this way. I also pray that I will be able to help others end their lives well.

Thank you Dr. Kilner for all that I have learned from you by your teaching, your encouragement, and the example of your life.