The hope of Christmas

By Steve Phillips

Every year at this time I try to spend some time reflecting on the meaning of Christmas and for this blog I try to reflect on how the meaning of Christmas interacts with bioethics. This year the Christmas musical program presented by the choir that I sing in at our church was focused on the themes of hope, love, joy, and peace represented by the outer candles of the Advent wreath that we light each of the four Sundays of Advent. As I have been thinking about the meaning of Christmas I have been focusing on the hope of Christmas.

One of the reasons that I have been thinking about hope is that I see so much hopelessness in the small rural community where I live and practice. Many of the patients that I care for feel hopeless. It can be seen in how the community is impacted by substance abuse and suicide as I wrote about last year. Many would relate the hopelessness to the poor economic climate of the community, and that does have a significant impact on people’s lives. But being poor does not necessarily entail hopelessness. There are many examples of those who are economically poor but rich in hope and joy. Hopelessness comes from a poverty of the soul that is more than just economic. It comes from a lack of positive relationships and positive social interaction. It comes from a lack of anyone or anything in which people can put their trust. Hopelessness comes from seeing that this world is far from what it ought to be and having no reason to think that will ever change.

The message of Christmas is that, even though we live in a broken world that is not what it ought to be, there is a remedy for the brokenness of this world. The way by which our brokenness can be healed came to earth as a baby born in Bethlehem. Jesus became one of us to be God’s clearest revelation of himself to us. His death provided the answer to our brokenness. His resurrection provided assurance of the hope that we can have in him. That is the hope of Christmas. Jesus is the answer to our own hopelessness, the hopelessness of those in our communities, and the hopelessness of the world.