Bioethics @ TIU

Happy New Year!

Posted December 31st, 2016 by Neil Skjoldal

As I sit to write this blog, 2016 is nearing its end. It seems like many people are quite happy about this prospect. I must admit, the year became rather wearying at points with all of its ups and downs.

I took a few moments to reflect upon my blogs from the past year. Zika, physician-assisted death, and pharmaceutical prices were some of things I blogged about in 2016. Undoubtedly, each of those, along with many others, will continue to be issues in 2017.

At the beginning of 2017, with all of the things that are rapidly changing around us, there is one thing that remains constant: the intrinsic value of a human life. As we approach 2017, let us remember that this value is not an economic number, based on an individual’s contribution to the national GDP. Neither is the value of a human life based on intellectual ability, tied to a person’s IQ. Too often, humanity’s measurements of a person’s value—physical strength, intelligence, or buying power—all miss the point. Those from a Judeo-Christian perspective understand that each and every human is made in the image of God; therefore, each deserves to be treated with honor and dignity. Bioethics is at its best when it recognizes this unchangeable reality.

Have a great 2017!