Human Germline Genetic Enhancement and The Abolition of Man

I appreciate Courtney and Jon expressing their thoughts on the issue of human germline modification and the references to C. S. Lewis’s book, The Abolition of Man. My thoughts on this are more extensive than I can put in a blog post. I expressed those thoughts several years ago in a paper presentation at the CBHD summer conference. If you are interested in my extended thoughts, the paper was published in the Summer 2102 issue of Ethics & Medicine.

One of the points that Lewis makes in The Abolition of Man is that the human project to control nature through the use of science ultimately involves the control of some people by other people. This is clearly seen in the issue of human germline genetic modification. That process involves those who would use such technology exercising control over not just the life of the child who is created with the genetic modification, but also all of that child’s offspring. Lewis highlights the hubris of anyone who would think that they have the wisdom to foresee all the effects that such a modification would have and feel that they have the right to impose those effects on future generations. The concerns about safety are very serious and are reason not to proceed, but even if there were some way to establish the safety of germline modification (and there are good arguments that such a thing cannot ethically be done), it would still be wrong to assert control over the lives of multiple generations of future human beings by determining their genetic characteristics based on what we think is best for them.

2