Reflections on the Olympic opening ceremonies

Of all the quirky elements that went into the opening ceremony of the London Olympics (think Shakespeare, James Bond, Voldemort, and — Mr. Bean?), the quirkiest to me was the tribute to the National Health Service (NHS). Wondering whether the acclamation was the idiosyncratic view of the ceremony’s director or reflected the attitude of the British public, I went online to do a (thoroughly unsystematic) search regarding Brits’ perspectives the NHS. I found a wide range of opinions, from complaints and disgust (Google “I hate the NHS” for a sample), to praise, to prophecies of doom. But overall, even when the British have bad things to say about the NHS, most express some degree of pride in it: and the thing that they are most proud of is that their health system provides access to everybody in the country, for no cost at the point of care.

In my (totally unscientific) research, I came across many websites debating the relative merits of the NHS and US healthcare. Those who favor US healthcare, while acknowledging that it has its problems, also express pride in it: and the thing that they are most often proud of is its unparalleled technology, its shorter wait times for many tests and procedures, and its vigorous R&D.

Now I am not here arguing for an NHS-like system in the US. But change of one kind or another is coming to how we fund and deliver health care. Wouldn’t it be grand — wouldn’t it be right — if we end up with a system in which we can be proud of the fact that we provide access to health care even for “the least of these,” and not just our technological prowess?