Reflections from the Front: Conflicts of Interest (Again)

Lately a number of high profile stories on conflicts of interest have made headlines. One reported in Nature http://www.nature.com/news/editor-s-move-sparks-backlash-1.10068  relates how Glenn McGee, Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Bioethics recently was criticized for his paid position with CellTex Therapeutics in Houston Texas. Is it really okay for the senior editor of one of the world’s most highly quoted ethics journals, theoretically a neutral voice of wisdom, to hold a highly paid position in a controversial, for profit research company? Many bioethicists did not believe it was, and he subsequently resigned from the research position.

Many conflicts of interest are couched in financial terms. I cannot sell goods and services to the company for which I am the purchasing agent. I cannot publish research on pharmaceuticals from companies that I own stock in without disclosing this publicly. I cannot present a medical lecture to a small group of doctors and nurses without disclosure.  In fact, I am not to mention medications by their brand names for fear of creating undue influence on prescribers in the audience.

Some of this seems almost silly, but the underlying question is important. Can I trust this physician, researcher, or author to give me clean information? The most dangerous lie is the near-truth or the half-truth. Blatant lies are easily spotted and named.

Another aspect of this discussion is one I have discussed on this blog earlier. When I, as a treating doctor wear the additional hat of being clinical researcher, how do I keep my loyalties straight? Is this really the best course of action for my patient, or do I believe in the investigational therapy because I have a vested emotional or financial gain at stake?

Closely linked with this bias question is one of coercion. If you trust me as your treating doctor, I may have to say very little positive about the investigational treatment for you to willingly sign on. When you get home and your spouse or children question your decision, in all likelihood you will reply that you trust me, I’ve never let you down, and I wouldn’t recommend this for you if I didn’t believe in it. In fact, by the very nature or a treatment trial, I cannot officially be recommending it to you, nor can I know that it will be helpful. I may hope, speculate, and even believe it will help, but I certainly can’t tell you I know it will help. If I even hint this is true, I am engaging the placebo effect, warping any outcome assessment.

I am only musing, and don’t offer any substantive advice, except to caution that any time we are in a relationship with a vulnerable party our responsibility is greater, and in all doctor-patient relationships this is inherent.  We must be very careful how we say what we say, and to whom we say it.

2