The Price of Knowledge

Is it ever good to not know? Is all information good information? These questions, I would contend, are at the heart of some of the testing options during pregnancy. Now before I stick my foot in my mouth, I am not referring to any medically necessary tests or procedures for pregnancies. These offer options for therapeutic solutions.

What I am referring to are tests that are in an effort to uncover “birth defects”, such as Down syndrome and Cystic Fibrosis. These two happen to be the most contentious of diagnoses because knowing your developing child has either of them offers no therapeutic solution(s). (I say “therapeutic solutions” because abortions are rarely that and are definitely not in the case of either of these diagnoses).

Opting to receive this particular kind of information during pregnancy does not offer much resolve. There are only two answers that it offers. One is somewhat reasonable and the other is not.

The first answer is so that parents may prepare themselves. This foreknowledge gives parents an opportunity to say: “brace yourself”, but it offers no power or control over the things to come. (I would interject that having knowledge about temporal things we cannot change is often more enfeebling than it is empowering).

The second is to take the life of the child. This “solution” is the real concern. Parents are offered information/diagnoses that leave some feeling as if their only choice is to end the life of a person of potential. This is a travesty that neglects the inherent value of this person, which is abandoned in the act of placing value upon an external instead of the value given by God.

2