Crossing Species Boundaries

Recently I have been reading a book entitled “Genetics: Science, Ethics, and Public Policy,” which offers a survey of various topics/issues in articles written by a broad spectrum of authors. Though the book is a bit dated (new research has been published since 2005) many of the reflections are still poignant.

One particular article has been on my mind as of late: “Crossing Species Boundaries,” written by Jason Scott Robert and Francoise Baylis. What they set out to establish in this piece is not a well-polished perspective on why or why not interspecies hybrids or chimeras from human materials should be made. So don’t get too excited.

However, they do have a number of insights as to the way we think about these things. In so doing, they offer a brief survey of some the current views and issues that arise, which have me thinking that…

I am going to begin a series that will address some of the latest topics, questions and ethical concerns that are associated with this issue–crossing species boundaries. With any luck this will offer more time and space to address the issue thoroughly.

Here are some topics I am thinking about addressing: recent developments/research, human nature, and the human species.

If you have any other ideas surrounding this issue that you think ought to be discussed, feel free to leave a comment.