Solomon and bioethics (and prayer)

I’m still thinking about Solomon.  I keep coming back to the idea that when God told him to ask for whatever he wanted Solomon responded “give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong” (1 Kings 3:9 NIV).  I wrote about the governing part last week, but I keep thinking about his request that God give him the ability to discern between right and wrong.  That is the essence of what ethics is all about.  Solomon was given that ability because he asked God for it and was considered the wisest person on earth.

The word we use for asking God for things is prayer.  I think we sometimes forget the connection between prayer and ethics.  It is true that ethics involves our ability to reason, and what we can learn at a place like Trinity is very valuable, but prayer is a key that opens a connection with the one who knows all things and is the source of all we can know about right and wrong.  If we want to be able to discern what is right and wrong we should ask God for his help.

In light of the theme of the CBHD conference opening tomorrow let us remember that Christian influence in bioethics and our society will not come about solely by the power of our intellect, the persuasiveness of our arguments, or our political strength.  We will influence bioethics and our society when God uses us and the abilities he has given us as instruments of his power in causing his will to be done.

Join me in praying for all those involved in the conference and all of us, whether we are able to be at the conference or not, who are Christians concerned about bioethics.  Pray that God will give us the ability to discern what is right and wrong and help our society to do the same.