Abortion Prevention

Nigel Cameron wrote that it is important to see elective abortion as a symptom, not the disease.  Because this is true, if Roe v. Wade were overturned tomorrow, and some states started to outlaw abortion, the abortion problem would not end;  because even if Roe v. Wade goes away, all of the reasons that women have abortions will still exist.  What will those of us who call ourselves Pro-Life do to address some of those underlying causes?  What are we doing to address those underlying causes?  (Do we even think about what the underlying causes are?)  What are we doing to promote a social and cultural environment that is less inimical to the raising of and providing for children?  What are we doing to help those who do choose to carry their babies to term, particularly among the poor in whom abortion is so prevalent?  What are we doing to support them in feeding and housing and providing a safe environment and medical care to their children?  (Why are Pro-Lifers so heavily represented among those who are most vocally opposed to health care reform and gun control?)

I hope and pray that some day Roe v. Wade is overturned.  But I believe that we as a Christian community must work more energetically to show that being Pro-Life means more than picketing and praying.  At the very least, it means making sacrifices to help women and families with children.  It means getting more involved in the messy lives of those around us.  If we can address some of the reasons so many women feel that abortion is their best or only option, maybe we can go a long way towards accomplishing what we can never accomplish merely by overturning a Supreme Court decision.

5