The Business of Drugs

I went to my first drug rep dinner the other night at Smith & Wollensky in Houston’s Highland Village.  The high-end steaks and 20+ bottles of wine left nothing to be desired by the nurses and physicians in attendance.   Research shows that being wowed with a nice meal influences later decision-making.  Yes, I could see how the memory of one of those juicy steaks could prompt a doctor to select a particular medication.

Special thanks to Joe Gibes for bringing to light how pharma business practices stymie important medical treatments.  I worked in business for over 7 years, and I saw two types of businesspeople.  One type focused on presenting the merits of the product and gave the buyer room to evaluate it and make a decision on a purchase.  This person would refrain from the pressure sales pitch and would frankly state what the product could and could not do.  Sometimes this went so far as recommending a competitor who sold a product that fit the customer’s needs better.  The other type of salesman I encountered had a different approach.   Marketing techniques were more about allurement rather than presenting one’s ware.  These folks were jovial types always given to conversation, but all the backslapping often left the customer with an uneasy feeling.

Business reform in general is needed in our country, but more is at stake when unethical business practices impact the field of medicine.  Since a person’s well-being is in the balance, extra care and protections must be employed.  I often hear medical students comment, “I can’t really do anything about the drug business.  It’s just the way things are.  I might as well enjoy the free meal.”  But don’t we owe it to our patients to remove any taint from medical care when their very lives are concerned?  Our Savior was a humble man, and there is no doubt his humility opened the door for His effective healing ministry.  Such a disposition sets an entirely different tone for healthcare, which our medical system desperately needs.

1